Function keys add a lot of ease to a professional’s computing life. You can switch through the apps using those keys, and access the desired tab in a moment.
While using professional programs including photo editing applications, video editing programs, or running virtual machine set-up, the use, and functionalities of these function keys (F1-F12) go double.
Maybe your Toshiba laptop is not altogether getting the function keys (F1-12) standard tasks such as F2 for screen brightness, and F5 for refresh and while browsing reloading the page.
In most cases, there is confusion between standard mode and special function mode. You can switch any of the modes as per your use and requirement.
In my latest Toshiba laptop, I see the function keys are not working in standard mode.
I was able to access the special functions using the (F1-F12) keys without using the (Fn+ (F1-F12)). It should have been easier to switch from special function mode to standard mode, but I could not find a simple and straightforward post to help me do that.
Difference between Standard and Special Function Mode
In this mode, you get the standard function of the function keys. Such as F6 for muting the volume and F5 for refreshing in Windows. And by holding the Fn key with the function keys you get a special function.
Special Function Mode:
In this mode, you get the special function by just pressing the function key (F1-F12) and holding Fn with function keys to get a standard function. It is a reverse of Standard mode, you can switch to any of the modes as per your liking and enable the function keys altogether if you do not have them enabled already.
In this topic, we shall be helping you to switch from special function mode to standard mode and vice versa. And if you are not getting any of the function keys tasks, you may enable them by following the steps, I am going to mention.
How to Enable Function Mode in a Toshiba Laptop?
You will see it is the simplest task you have ever come across. Just follow the steps, and I am pretty sure you will get the function keys enabled.
When the function keys are not enabled some of the keys tasks still work, but not all. Maybe you are getting one or two function keys (F1-F12) Operations.
- Click on Start-> All programs -> Toshiba
- Utilities-> Accessibility
- Checkmark the box to ensure that the Fn Key will work whether you press it with Function keys (F1-F12) or before pressing the Function keys.
- You will be presented with many other options, customize the options and click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Test the Fn Key, you can use any special function of the key, the easiest would be to press the Fn+Esc key together, it turns on and off the sound on your computer.
If you do not get the function of on and off of the sound, you may try again by pressing Fn and NumLock. If it still does not work, maybe there is some hardware fault now that’s the time to hire a professional.
How to switch Special Function mode to standard Mode (F1-F12 Mode)
It is the easiest thing you have ever seen, switching from special function mode to standard mode and vice versa. Let me explain, and you follow the steps.
- Restart your Toshiba Laptop
- Press F2 or F10 to get BIOS settings. The Bios key can be different for different models, in most laptops, to access BIOS settings, it is the F2 key.
- Go to ‘Advanced’ Tab
- Click on ‘System Configuration’ under the Advance Mode
- You will see ‘Function Key Mode’ under the System Configuration Tab
- Press Enter after selecting ‘Function Key Mode’, you will see Standard F1-F12 Mode and special Function Mode.
- Select Standard F1-F12 Mode, press F10 to save the changes, and exit.
You can change the standard function mode to a Special Function mode if you like by following the same procedure.
Also Read: Best Laptops For Accounting Majors students